Today we are going to guide you, How to root Moto G4 (4th Generation) models. In this handbook, you will learn about rooting almost all Moto G4 models (G4 Play, G4, G4 Plus).
Motorola is here with two new family member, Moto G4, and Moto G4 Plus. Both sports a full-HD 5.5 inch LCD panel with 401ppi protected by corning gorilla glass 3. Both runs on latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow (Upgradable to Android 7.1 Nougat) powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 octa-core processor clocked at 1.5GHz coupled with 2GB ram for 16GB variant and 3GB ram for the 32GB variant.
Note: – Moto G5 And Moto G5 Plus Price, Specs Leaked
Internal memory is expandable up to 128GB and power it up we have a 3000mAh battery underneath with turbocharging feature. There’s a 13mp autofocus camera on Moto G4, and a 16mp laser-assisted autofocus camera on G4 plus and both have a 5mp on the front. G4 Plus also sports a fingerprint sensor on the bottom front, unlike Moto G4 and Moto G4 Play.
Moto G4 Play edition has 5 inch 720p HD screen and a 2800mAh Li-Pol battery. It has a Snapdragon 410 CPU and 2GB of RAM to give you best in class power-performance ratio.
However, rooting can always enhance the capabilities of a device So to root Moto G4, Moto G4 Play and Moto G4 Plus we need few things listed here:-
1) A Laptop/PC, a working internet connection and a USB cable.
2) Moto G4 and Moto G4 Plus USB driver, Minimal ADB, and Fastboot tool driver.
This rooting guide will work for these models. However, some models will need a separate TWRP image.
Moto G4 Plus root compatible models: XT1644 (USA, Europe, India)
Moto G4 Play root Compatible models: XT1607, XT1609
Moto G4 root compatible models: XT1625, XT1622, XT1624
How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G4, Moto G4 Play, and Moto G4 Plus
Note- Before proceeding to root your Moto G 4, please make sure to backup all your important data such as contacts, photos and anything important to you in your computer or on the cloud.
Now let’s start with the Steps.
- Step 1. Once you are done with the backup and stuff, Head over to the Motorola’s Website which will guide you throughout the process of unlocking the bootloader of your device.
- Step 2. Now to continue further, you are required to create an account on the Motorola’s website.
- Step 3. You can also sign in with a Google Account Signed on your device.
- Step 4. After Signing in, move to the next page, on the next page, you will see a list of steps which will explain the process of unlocking the bootloader in detail.
- Step 5. Now download these Files and place them in the root directory of your system drive which in most cases is the C drive.
- Step 6. Switch off your device, let it stay like that for 30 seconds and then hold power and volume down button together to enter into bootloader mode.
- Step 7. Now connect your device to your computer and open a command prompt on your PC.
- Step 8. Note that you have to open the command prompt in the folder where you have extracted the files downloaded in step 5.
- Step 9. Type this command- fastboot get_unlock_data and press enter; now you will see some text and numbers on your screen.
- Step 10. The text will look like this
- Step 11. Copy all the text and paste it into a text editor app such as notepad, now remove the word “bootloader” to make sure that all the text is in one long form.
Like this – 01HDNIBF3948HO3#N9F3HHBFN94BFBF9HF9B#3G93B93H4G9HGNE
- Step 12. Now open the browser and make sure that you are on the same page which we opened in Step 4.
- Step 13. Now copy the text from the notepad and paste it here.
- Step 14. Once you have pasted the text, click on “Can my device be unlocked” and if your device is eligible a button stating “Request unlock key” will appear.
- Step 15. Moving forward you will get a popup on which you need to agree to the terms and conditions after which you will receive a key in your mail id which we used earlier for signup.
- Step 16. Now for the last step type this command in the command prompt
fastboot oem unlock your_key
- Note- Here your_ key is the key which you have just received in your mail id.
- Step 17. That’s it now your device will reboot multiple times and once it powers on you will have a popup stating that you have unlocked your bootloader.
How to install TWRP recovery on your Moto G4, Moto G4, and Moto G4 Plus
- Step1. First of all, make sure you have unlocked your device’s bootloader via the above guide.
- Step2. Now let’s download some files which will perform this process for you.
- ADB For Windows ( install it on your computer)
- ADB Driver
- TWRP Recovery For Moto G4 Plus
- TWRP For Moto G4
- TWRP For Moto G4 Play
- If you are using the Moto G4 download the recovery image from the second link.
- Step 3. Extract the Contents of TWRP file in the same folder as that of ADB and connect your device to your computer.
- Step 4. While staying in the same folder, hold the Shift key and right-click anywhere in the folder and then select the command prompt option from the popup.
- Step 5. Now type this command in the command prompt – adb reboot bootloader (your device will boot into bootloader mode)
- Step 6 Now type this command – fastboot flash recovery twrp.img (this will install/flash the recovery image onto your device)
- Step 7. Now type this command to boot up your device in normal state – adb reboot
That’s it you have successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Moto G4 Play or Moto G4 Plus.
Note – 1. You need to turn on the USB Debugging from the Developer settings and also turn on the Enable OEM unlock.
2. If you don’t see Developer settings in your device’s settings menu, you need to tap on the build number for 7-8 times.
3. To go to the recovery mode, you need to power off your device and then hold the volume up and power button simultaneously to boot into recovery mode.
How to Root Moto G4, Moto G4 Play, and Moto G4 Plus
- Step 1. First of all, make sure that you have a custom recovery installed on your device.
- Step 2. Download the SuperSU file and place it in the internal storage of your device ( Make sure it is not in any folder)
- Step 3. Now Switch off your device and then boot it into the recovery mode by holding power and volume up button together.
- Step 4. Choose the install tab and then navigate and select the SuperSu file mentioned in Step 2.
- Step 5. Now Simply press on install button and your device will be rooted in seconds.
- To Make sure you have successfully rooted your device you can download the Root Checker application available on the Play Store and check the root status of your device.